Friday, October 19, 2012

Vivaldi


Antonio Vivaldi was a famous violin composer, which means he wrote music for violins. He was very young when he studied for his dream; At the age 15, he began studying to become a priest. They nicknamed him the Red Priest. On the way to his dreams he became a violin composer. That is what he did when he wanted his dream to come true.

Vivaldi's most famous concerto is called “The Four Seasons.” “The Four Seasons” is very good if you like to listen to classical music. I like the music, because there are no voices, only instruments. Instruments are cool to listen to when there is no singing involved. “The Four Seasons” focuses on violins entirely.

The first section, called “Spring,” makes me want to jump up and down. It's not soft until 1 minute and 30 seconds into it, but almost all the rest is fast. Everything is defrosting; animals are coming out of their homes and plants are blooming. In the middle of the song, it sounds like a newborn deer's first time trying to walk on its own. It's almost like Bambi; he tries to walk, but falls back down, but then he gets back up until he is finally able to ramble about in the forest. I think some people will like this because it will remind them of Spring. All of the instruments telling me that winter is over, makes me want to dance!

When “Spring” is over, “Summer” begins, with a nice, easy tone to it. In the beginning, the music turns out low, then becomes louder. Vivaldi did a nice job when he wrote “Summer,” because it sounds joyful, just like the season. He made it sound so nice and calming. It's the season for people to go swimming at the ocean, the beach and in their pools. In the middle of the song, I believe it sounds like an ocean, which is amazing because in the summer it's hot out so I would jump in some cold water! That is what summer is all about.

“Autumn” begins with a fast tone to it, then it becomes softer, sounding as if birds have taken flight and leaves are falling to the ground. The music gets louder when the birds travel south when winter comes. The fast parts sound like birds flying in the air and the animals going into their homes for the winter. I like this music, because it has a softness to it that makes me want to hibernate as well!

Winter is a time for coats, boots, scarves and anything that keeps warmth in while I'm outside. In this section, the music is fast when it gets louder and it gets gentle when the music slows down. The violins sound like the winter wind is blowing and the little animals who don't hibernate are outside playing in the snow. I like this section because it also makes me think of people ice dancing.

Vivaldi was a famous violin composer. “The Four Seasons” is his best work overall. “Winter” is my favorite musical piece for Music Appreciation class so far. Winter isn't my favorite season though, because I don't like the cold. Does your favorite season match up with Vivaldi's interpretation of it?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting musical tidbits. I'm going to have to give it a listen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete